Below is a breakdown in the rates and fees for those property owners who opt-in to connect their home to the public sewer system as part of the Out of District (ODWW) Project. This is a completely voluntary option to property owners in the affected area (see coverage area map) – no property owner is required to connect.
Rates and fees are assessed based on when the property owner decides to connect. The options include:
- Early Connection: Property owners facing a need to connect to the public sewer system prior to their property’s anticipated connection date may be offered an option to connect early if they are building on an empty lot or have issues that need immediate attention and are located in an area that LMUD already has main sewer lines nearby. To see if you qualify, please contact us. There is a one-time upfront fee associated with this option and there is no guarantee when the connection will occur.
- Regular Connection: When we get close to being able to connect properties along specific wastewater main lines, we will contact each current customer listed on the LMUD account for that property (by e-mail, phone, and in person if needed) for the property owner to decide if they would like to connect at a specified anticipated connection date. There are minimal upfront fees associated with this option if project stays within our standard assessment of work. Connections will be made in sequential order along predetermined routes.
- Decline to Connect / Option for Late Connection: This option remains available to property owners who are not ready to connect at the time it is made available to them or to those who prefer to remain on septic. Property owners who choose this option always have the option to connect at a later date, including future property owners who decide to connect. There is a one-time upfront fee associated with this option and there is no guarantee when the connection will occur.
For Early Connection or Late Connection requests, customers may be offered an installation choice. :
- LMUD-install: LMUD will install the grinder pump system needed to connect the Service Address to LMUD’s public wastewater system when LMUD’s project schedule allows (at LMUD’s sole determination), at no additional cost if project stays within our standard assessment of work. LMUD or homeowner will also be responsible for decommission the existing septic tank at the Service Address, if applicable, following TCEQ guidelines. Customer is responsible for hiring a licensed electrician to set the control panel for the grinder pump system, including bringing 240 volt electricity to support it before LMUD’s starts on the installation. Any anticipated connection date provided by LMUD to the customer for this type of connection is not guaranteed and is subject to change based on such factors as the overall project schedule, cost, labor availability, and other factors affecting LMUD’s ability to perform this work, as LMUD may determine.
- Self-install: Customer is responsible for hiring qualified contractors (a plumber and an electrician) for the installation of the grinder pump system needed to connect their Service Address to LMUD’s public wastewater system following LMUD’s specifications and using LMUD’s provided materials. Contractors will also be responsible for decommission the existing septic tank at the Service Address, if applicable, following TCEQ guidelines. Customers may opt to choose this option if they are working on a tight deadline that LMUD cannot accommodate. Customers offered this option may install at their convenience, once paperwork is complete and LMUD has run the wastewater main line to the property and set the tap. The following additional provisions apply:
- LMUD will provide, at no additional cost if it falls within LMUD’s standard supply kit, all contents of the grinder pump tank and the control panel. All other materials will be sourced and purchased at at the customer’s expense and meet LMUD’s technical specifications.
- Installation location must follow plans specified by LMUD on the “site assessment”.
- Customer is responsible for hiring qualified professionals, licensed in the state of Texas, to complete the installation of the grinder pump system, including the 240 volt electrical connection, meeting LMUD’s technical and location specifications. A copy of their professional license and driver’s license must be on file with LMUD prior to any work being initiated.
- LMUD is responsible for running the wastewater main line to the property and setting the tap where the service line will tie-in to the sewer main line.
Note: If the property changes ownership prior to connection, this payment transfers with the current LMUD customer listed for the property. Once the property has been connected, the current LMUD customer for the property will be responsible for paying all future charges, which will appear on their regular utility bill from LMUD.
Estimated Monthly Costs After Connection
|Volumetric Rate||Based on usage*|
|Out of District (OD) Wastewater Base Charge||$76**|
|Grinder Pump Service Fee||$5***|
*avg. $10/mo. (Varies per household: example based on avg. Dec.-Mar. of 8,000 gal.). Wastewater rates can be found here.
**Cost is based on current rates, subject to change (+/-). Cost is made up of an assessed charge for infrastructure development plus ongoing system maintenance.
***The Grinder Pump Service Fee covers LMUD being made responsible for all repairs to control panel and grinder pump tank at service address location. Electrical repair work must be completed at the owner’s expense by a licensed electrician. Property owners are responsible for contacting LMUD to make a service request. This service applies to LMUD customers with a pre-existing 9not installed by LMUD) grinder pump on their property as well, however additional fees apply.
Upfront Connection Fees
|CONNECTION FEE FOR REGULAR CONNECTION REQUESTS:
|If you selected Regular Connection, the following charge must be paid with this Application:|
|Wastewater Tap Fee||$1,200|
|TOTAL FOR 2023||$1,200*|
|*Subject to change. See Rate Order for updates.|
|NON-REFUNDABLE ONE TIME CHARGES FOR EARLY CONNECTION AND LATE CONNECTION REQUESTS:|
|If you selected Early or Late Connection, the following Non-Refundable One-Time Charges must be paid with this Application:|
|Capacity Reservation Charge||$4,050*|
|Plumbing Inspection Charge||$225|
|TOTAL FOR 2023||$4,375|
|*Cost increases $125 each year.|
|Although these fees are not refundable, paid fees will be credited to the Service Address if the Service Address changes ownership prior to connection to LMUD’s public wastewater system.|