Below is a breakdown in the rates and fees for those property owners who opt-in to connect their home to the public sewer system as part of the Out of District (ODWW) Project. This is a completely voluntary option to property owners in the affected area (see coverage area map) – no property owner is required to connect.
Rates and fees are assessed based on when the property owner decides to connect. The options include:
- Early Connection: Property owners facing a need to connect to the public sewer system prior to their property’s anticipated connection date may be offered an option to connect early if they are building on an empty lot or have issues that need immediate attention and are located in an area that LMUD already has main sewer lines nearby. To see if you qualify, please contact us. There is a one-time upfront fee associated with this option and there is no guarantee when the connection will occur.
- Regular Connection: When we get close to being able to connect properties along specific wastewater main lines, we will contact each current customer listed on the LMUD account for that property (by e-mail, phone, and in person if needed) for the property owner to decide if they would like to connect at a specified anticipated connection date. There are no upfront fees associated with this option. Connections will be made in sequential order along predetermined routes.
- Decline to Connect / Option for Late Connection: This option remains available to property owners who are not ready to connect at the time it is made available to them or to those who prefer to remain on septic. Property owners who choose this option always have the option to connect at a later date, including future property owners who decide to connect. There is a one-time upfront fee associated with this option and there is no guarantee when the connection will occur.
For Early Connection or Late Connection requests, customers may be offered an installation choice. :
- LMUD-install: LMUD will install the grinder pump system needed to connect the Service Address to LMUD’s public wastewater system when LMUD’s project schedule allows (at LMUD’s sole determination), at no additional cost. Customer is still responsible for hiring a licensed electrician to bring 220 volt electricity to support the control panel for the grinder pump system before LMUD’s completion of the grinder pump system install. This is currently the only option for all Regular Connection requests. Any anticipated connection date provided by LMUD to the customer for this type of connection is not guaranteed and is subject to change based on such factors as the overall project schedule, cost, labor availability, and other factors affecting LMUD’s ability to perform this work, as LMUD may determine.
- Self-install: Customer is responsible for the installation of the grinder pump system needed to connect their Service Address to LMUD’s public wastewater system following LMUD’s specifications and using LMUD’s provided materials. Customers may opt to choose this option if they are working on a tight deadline that LMUD cannot accommodate. Customers offered this option may install at their convenience, once paperwork is complete and LMUD has made plans to run the sewer main line to the property. The following additional provisions apply:
- LMUD will provide, at no additional cost, all contents of the grinder pump tank and the control panel. All other materials will be sourced and purchased at at the customer’s expense and meet LMUD’s technical specifications.
- Customer is responsible for hiring qualified professionals, licensed in the state of Texas, to complete the installation of the grinder pump system, including the 220 volt electrical connection, meeting LMUD’s technical and location specifications.
- LMUD is responsible for running the sewer main line to the property, completing the final tie-in of the service lines to the sewer main line, and decommission the existing septic tank at the Service Address, if applicable, following TCEQ guidelines.
Note: If the property changes ownership prior to connection, this payment transfers with the current LMUD customer listed for the property. Once the property has been connected, the current LMUD customer for the property will be responsible for paying all future charges, which will appear on their regular utility bill from LMUD.
Estimated Monthly Costs After Connection
|Volumetric Rate||Based on usage*|
|Out of District (OD) Wastewater Base Charge||$74**|
|Grinder Pump Service Fee||$5***|
*avg. $20/mo. (Varies per household: example based on avg. Dec.-Mar. of 8,000 gal.). Wastewater rates can be found here.
**Cost is based on current rates, subject to change (+/-). Cost is made up of an assessed $60/mo. charge for infrastructure development plus $14/mo. which covers ongoing system maintenance.
***The Grinder Pump Service Fee covers LMUD being made responsible for all repairs to control panel, grinder pump, service box, and connecting service lines at service address location. Property owners are responsible for contacting us to make a service request. This service applies to LMUD customers with a pre-existing grinder pump on their property as well.
Early/Late Connection Upfront Fees
Early Connections as well as Late Opt-ins incur one-time fees that are not assessed to LMUD customers opting-in as part of the regular ODWW Project. These fees must be paid prior to being connected.
|Capacity Reservation Fee||$3,800*|
|Plumbing Inspection Fee||$225|
*2019 fee rate was $3,250. Increased to $3,675 on Jan. 1, 2020 and then an additional $125 each year thereafter.